Wednesday, September 14, 2011

front row chicks


Last Friday, Sept. 9, I had the pleasure of attending my first ever Mercedes Benz Fashion Week shows. I accompanied my friend Lorraine whose awesome new job as a magazine reporter scored us the extra ticket that would allow me to watch the Luca Luca and Rebecca Taylor shows that day.

What an experience, what a scene it is to be at the fashion hub of the nation. To be surrounded by all who live and breath fashion is so different from my everyday life as a graduate student in a non-fashion related school (though my school is part of a very very important school of that sort..) was overwhelming and to be honest I felt totally out of place. Yet at the same time it reminded me of the reason why I started this blog 2+ years ago: fashion, my love and admiration for it.

Fashion is clearly not just about shopping or posting your favorite editorials on your blog. It's really a lifestyle, about understanding what defines you and how you want to be perceived by others. It's about taking the trends, designed by the most creative human beings knowledgeable in both the present and future of mankind (whats fashion, if not understanding its history, past present and future?), and making each piece unique to yourself only. You can be inspired without having to copy someone else's look, for instance. Kind of like the idea of saving face, if you hold yourself to a high prestige of being fashionable, you cannot let yourself fall trap to being an imitation.

This idea was so relevant during fashion week, which is essentially a who's who event - see and be seen, dress to impress. I can't tell you how many photographers and fashion bloggers I saw out at Lincoln Center that day, taking photos of each other, staring at each other, constantly on their phones...in my sandals and school bag, I felt totally intrusive attending these events but had such a blast being involved in the scene. Albeit I haven't even been in the city for a month and I had the opportunity to attend these amazing shows, be witness to upcoming trends.

I absolutely loved the Luca Luca show. It's so difficult to explain that feeling when the lights hit every side of the stage, the music starts blaring and the first model walks onto the runway. So exhilarating, and I think Luca Luca was a perfect gateway fashion show for me.


Absolutely loved the flirty, flowy and colorful numbers modeled at this show. I'd easily wear all of the pieces.

(here's an awesome article about designer Raul Melgoza's inspiration behind the ss2012 show)


Peering across the runway, you can spot the fashion elite, the celebs sitting in the prized front row (I also caught a glimpse at Kelly Bensimon, who sat closer to the back of the runway). To be honest, I can't even name every celeb that had front row privilege but as soon as each of them entered the tent, a crowd of reporters, photogs and flashing lights obstructed any & every view of them until the show finally started. Honestly, an experience of its own.


We had two hours to kill after Luca Luca, so Lorraine and I headed over to Whole Foods at Columbus Circle and chatted over our cold salads (fashion shows and models definitely alter your consumption decisions that's for sure). Stepping just a couple blocks away from NYFW made up realize that really, this crowd only makes up a small percentage of New Yorkers. It was a friday, so the day was as normal as it could get, with everyone at work and whatnot - maybe just 1% of the city gave a shit about fashion week #reality

 As for the Rebecca Taylor show, I was floored by the sophistication and coolness of each outfit. I think Lorraine said it perfectly here, "comfortable but flirty — with flowy dresses and slouchy sweaters...The layered skirts and loose silhouettes gave off a fresh vibe while the peek-a-boo blouses and asymmetrical glittery dresses exuded a distinct contemporary edge."


My appreciation for these designers has grown immensely since attending these two shows. I was already so inspired by RT's hair & makeup that I left the house with wet hair today and got a manicure to match the teal eyeshadow used in the show. The things we do for fashion...